Sunday, July 15, 2012

Omaha Color Run!

Saturday was the first ever Omaha Color Run!

As many of you have probably heard, the Color Run is a 5K that has been taking cities by storm. Its pretty much a 5K on steroids in that ever 1K you run/walk, you get paint thrown at you (a different color every 1K) so that by the end you look like a rainbow threw up on you.

When I found out it was going to cost $50 to run in the Color Run (I missed early registration), I decided volunteering would be a better idea. I have never volunteered for a race, so this seemed like a lot of fun. I would not only get the experience of volunteering and giving back to the running community that I love so much, but I would also get to chuck paint at people. A win/win.

So bright and early (7:30am) on Saturday morning, I walked down to the Century Link Center where the run festivities were set up.


I was put into the "blue group" and they bused us to the 2ndK of the race, where we would be throwing blue paint.



Then it was time for set up. We had to roll out a tarp (to minimize clean up as much as possible), put paint (corn starch and dye) in empty condiment bottles for best paint squirting, and prep for the runners. About 13,000 people signed up for the race, so we knew there was going to be a lot of paint to go through.






Then it was time for war.





The race is set up really well. Because so many people sign up, they send runners in waves, so people kept coming and coming and coming. Basically for two hours my main job was to cover people in as much blue as possible.

It was such a fun time and after an hour of attempting to clean up, I walked my way home. But this is what I looked like....


I was a legit smurf. Still today (Sunday) my feet and hands have a little blue on them - and that's after three good showers. But that's ok, it was all worth it!

Color Run Omaha: Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment