Monday, May 7, 2012

Long Run Preparation

This past weekend was my LAST LONG RUN of training! I can not even begin to explain how happy I am about this. I swear, its so exciting and so much fun when you first sign up for a marathon, then when the long runs keep getting longer and longer and longer you start to forget all those great fun and exciting things. I am definitely at that point right now. But only two more weeks until Fargo!

I thought I'd write this post on how I prep for a long run. When you get into 13+ mileage, the way you treat your body up to two days before can effect the run. The day before the run (usually Friday), I  try to eat a meal focused on carbs for dinner and make sure to drink a few nalgenes full of water through out the day. Also important to remember, get into bed early.

I set my alarm and wake up usually by latest 7 am, from my experience its always better to get your run in earlier in the day: my body is used to waking up early, its usually cooler outside, I have the rest of the day to recover, etc.

For breakfast: always toast with peanut butter. Sometimes I try to eat a banana as well, if I'm not feeling it, I'll bring it along to eat after. I am always hungry after the run.


I also try to drink a little bit of coffee. I drink coffee every morning so I make sure to keep the routine. It also helps to get a little caffeine flowing through the veins.


Then I have to make sure I've got the essentials for the run: sunscreen, shot blocks, and my hand-held water bottle (not pictured: my Garmin watch - also very important).


This long run was a little different then the others because Kathryn let me borrow her compression socks.


Once I'm geared up, I head out and hit the pavement. This week I had plans to tackle 20 miles, but even at 8 am on Saturday it was already 80 degrees. So I settled for 14 in the morning and finished the last 6 on Sunday. Heat is my biggest enemy.


When I return, the first thing I do is run an ice cold bath. This part is crucial for an easy recovery. If I want to be able to walk easier the next day, I sit in the ice bath for at least 10 mins.



*Note on the compression socks: LOVE THEM! Will be getting a pair for myself and wearing them on all long runs! Thanks Kathryn :).


The final and most important part of the long run is the end indulgences.


My favorites are pizza, Gatorade, and something chocolate. Anything to make those sore legs feel better!

Hope this gives anyone thinking of tackling a long run a better idea of everything that goes into the preparation.


Happy running! 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked the compression socks! Hope they'll help keep those calves from knotting up in Fargo! Yay for your last long run being done!

    ReplyDelete