Monday, May 21, 2012

Fargo Marathon Recap

Wahooooooo, I'm back! And marathon #2 is complete and in the books! It is such a great feeling to set a goal like this and finally after months and months of work, to kick its butt! I've got a recap in pictures, so sit back and enjoy a quick view of my trip to North Dakota for the Scheels Fargo Marathon.

To begin, Friday after a half-day of work we hit the road for a 6 hour drive.




During the trip I got to visit: Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Minnesota - 4 states in 3 days.

Our first stop when we reached Fargo was to head to the Fargo Dome and pickup our race packets as well as visit the race expo. This was the biggest race I've ever been apart of and the first big expo I've been able to attend.





Then it was off to Jamie's dad's house, where we were spending the weekend. The most important thing about the last nice pre-race was cooking a nice big pasta dinner to carb up. We also enjoyed some yummy watermelon for dessert. Then I set everything out and went to bed early to prepare myself for the big day.





Friday morning we were up early and headed to the Fargo Dome at 7:00 am. We had the chance to walk around, scope out the setting, do a little bit of stretching, calm our nerves and then head out to the Starting line.







 The run itself was flat and surprisingly most of it was fun (pre-miles 22-26). The community support was amazing! I can not say enough about the ridiculous number of people who came out to support all the runners - every 0.10 of a mile there was a party going on with a DJ or a band, people drinking bloody marys, all at 8 am. I felt so lucky to experience Fargo this way and can honestly say I smiled from miles 1 - around 22 (that's when I hit the wall and it was more just praying to live through the pain).

Post-race was painful but such an amazing experience. Running into the Fargo Dome with everyone cheering  was out of this world.







Another race in the books, marathon #2 was a huge success. This one felt better than the first and a new PR! I would definitely suggest this race to anyone. Now a full week of rest to recooperate with lots of stretching. Hope your week is off to a great start!


1 comment: