Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Start of Something New.

Once the dust clears and another race is under the belt, I always start the next week thinking the same thing....
What Next? 


When your workout is based on training for an upcoming event, its easy to stay focused and on track but as soon as its over, what do you do? After my first marathon, I didn't want to run another day in my life.


But after about a week of rest, I was out running again ready to begin planning for my next race. Once you become a runner, you don't just run to work out or because you have to, you actually want to. Now that doesn't mean I am dying to go out and hit the pavement everyday, but I actually do enjoy running. As strange as it sounds, I've learned how to relax into my running and it can almost be meditative.

But now, I just finished the Greensboro Half and took one day of rest, I'm itchin' to start something new! Since I have some time before I need to get really serious on my training for the Fargo Marathon, I've decided to switch things up a bit.


1. Try out new exercise classes.
With all of my runs during the week, I found it really hard to work in more than my usual Zumba class every week. Now I have more time and I'm really excited to try BodyPump, Core classes, and Yoga!

2. Switch to early morning workouts.
This one is going to be interesting. Normally, I wait til I get home from work to head to the Y or take off on the streets but its easier for me to blow off a workout when I'm really tired from work and just want to eat dinner and go to bed. So 5 am and I are going to become really close...I'll keep you updated on how this one comes along. 

3. Add more weight training.
Weight training is something I've really missed. When training for a race I tend to stay away from weights because lifting makes me so sore but now I want get back to the gym and do more than just run.

These three changes will hopefully keep me excited and focused on working out. Before I know it, it will be time start the long runs again!

No comments:

Post a Comment