Monday, August 15, 2011

The Omnivore's Dilemma

Not only is this the title of the book I am currently reading but a true story we battle with everyday. When I decided to become a runner and work towards marathons I also began actively questioning my diet and what "healthy" was. Like probably 80% of the girls on this planet, I have always struggled with body image. Its a decision everyday to get up and workout and eat right and quite frankly, it sucks sometimes. But the more I read and try to educate myself, the more interested I become in being "healthy."

It all start with "Eating Animals," by Jonathan Safran Foer:


This book really opened my eyes to vegetarianism. It takes a close look into the meat producing industry and the ideals behind different farming methods. It was such a good, quick, and very informative (sometimes almost too much) read. As soon as I put the book down, I decided to try the life of a vegetarian. It really wasn't so hard at first, but it becomes more and more difficult when you feel like you are inconveniencing others. After about 40 days, I caved under the cravings of a Bojangles chicken biscuit (horrible, I know).

After sometime off, I decided to pick up my research again and began reading "Omnivore's Dilemma," by Michael Pollan. 


Now this book is much more dense and information packed. Pollan investigates the food chain branches from industrial to pastorial to personal. His mission is to learn more about all the decisions we have as omnivores: what are healthiest, most cost-efficient, economical, and environmental/animal friendly decisions that we can make. This book has literally made me want to become a self-sufficient farmer and live off the grid. 

Basically, the more I learn, the less meat and processed food I want to eat. I know it will not be an easy journey, I will be the first to admit that one of my favorite meals are brats off the grill, but in the end: fresh and local is always better than packaged and processed. This doesn't mean I am going to jump on the vegetarian train right this minute, but I am going to try to make better, more informed decisions on what I eat. Maybe one day I will convert to vegetarianism, I think it will probably just take a visit to a factory farm and a visualization of all the injustice and terrible practices that make there way into my body when I eat the animal, but until then its less meat and more fresh fruits and veggies for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment